Click here for a great selection of Amazon.com books about John F Kennedy.
President John F Kennedy Quick Facts
- He was the 35th President of the United States serving from January 20, 1961 until his assassination on November 22nd 1963.
- He was married to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis in 1953.
- Kennedy was a member of the Democratic Party.
- President Kennedy was born on May 29, 1917. His birthplace was Brookline, Massachusetts.
- John F Kennedy's Vice President was Lyndon B. Johnson who became the 36th President of the United States upon Kennedy's death.
- He was assassinated in Dallas Texas on November 22nd 1963.
John F. Kennedy List of Presidential Accomplishments
- When it was discovered in 1962 that the Soviet Union was building intermediate-range ballistic missile sites in Cuba Kennedy faced the greatest challenge of his presidency. Allowing the Soviets to continue would greatly compromise the security of the U.S. Through firm leadership and negotiation skills he averted a potential nuclear war which has been called "The Cuban Missile Crisis".
- In what many consider to be John F. Kennedy's greatest achievement as President; he was responsible for the launch of the Peace Corps in 1961. To this day, the organization continues to promote world peace by placing Americans throughout the world to help those in need.
- John F Kennedy is responsible for the expansion of NASA and space exploration. Thanks to his determination to eventually have a man land on the moon, he was able to convince Congress to fund the program. As a result, the first man landed on the moon a few years after his assassination.
- Several important bills were passed during his presidency. He was responsible for getting important civil rights bills passed as well as funding federal programs aimed at providing healthcare for the poor and the elderly.
John F. Kennedy Assassination Facts
- He was shot by a sniper, Lee Harvey Oswald, while traveling in a presidential motorcade with his wife, Texas Governor John Connally, and the governorâ€™s wife. The shooting took place in Dealey Plaza in Dallas Texas on 11/22/1963.
- Kennedy was rushed to Parkland Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 1:00 pm. The shot that killed him was to the back of his head.
- President Johnson established the Warren Commission to investigate the assassination. Although the commission concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone assassin there have been numerous other theories.
- Kennedy's assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, was himself shot to death two days after he shot the president. He was shot by Jack Ruby in the basement of the Dallas Police Headquarters while being taken to the county jail. Many people who believe in a conspiracy theory think he was shot to keep him silent about a conspiracy.
- Theories about who had JFK killed include the American Mafia, the Russian KGB, Fidel Castro, the CIA, and even his Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson.